Instagram - the rising star of social media
Instagram is now a staple mobile app for people all around the world, and over 400 million people use it each and every day - an almost mind-boggling number of people. It is also more popular than other social media giants like Twitter and Snapchat! Though this rise to fame has been dramatic and it’s hard to imagine how we could ever live without it, it wasn’t always an easy ride for this rising star of social media.
Instagram – the beginning
Founders Kevin Systrom and Mike Krieger first launched an app called Burbn, which failed to gain a lot of traction. The app felt too cluttered and was struggling to retain users. So, they spent eight weeks redeveloping it and rebranded it as, what we have all come to love, that’s right - Instagram. Once they re-launched, within just a few hours, it had become the most popular photo sharing app available. Within less than a year, it had 10 million active users. The meteoric success didn't stop there, and within just 18 months they sold the company to Facebook for a staggering $1 billion.
Where Instagram is today
To really help you understand the popularity of Instagram, here are some interesting statistics about its usage, as well as how it compares to other social media applications:
- In total, there are over 800 million active users a month. In comparison, Facebook has almost 2 billion and Snapchat around 300 million.
- It is now the world’s 7th most popular social networking site, behind Facebook, WhatsApp, Facebook Messenger, QQ, WeChat and QZone.
- Every month, there are around 17 million searches performed on Google for “Instagram”.
- 35% of Instagram users report looking at their account several times a day.
- Almost 100 million photos or videos are uploaded to Instagram a day - that equates to around 40 billion since it was founded.
- Selena Gomez has 129 million Instagram followers, second only to Instagram itself (at 228 million).
To date, Instagram still appears to be growing, and, under its Facebook ownership, has become a highly profitable company. Estimates believe Instagram will bring in almost $4 billion in advertising revenue by the end of 2017, compared to Facebook's revenue which will end somewhere closer to $40 billion. Still, the success it has faced is meteoric and it is by far the world’s favourite photo sharing app, so why not get involved and #chooseinstagram.